The Importance of a Good Skin Care Routine
A proper skincare routine makes a world of difference in your skin’s health and can make dull, tired-looking skin look radiant and vital. All good skincare routines contain the same sequence of steps: cleanse, exfoliate, tone, apply serum, moisturise, apply eye cream and consume healthy foods and plenty of water.
Beyond just knowing what the steps are, however, it’s good to understand why those steps exist and how they contribute to your skin’s wellbeing. Let’s get into them.
Step-by-Step Skin Care Guide for Radiant Skin
1. Cleanse: It’s vital to cleanse your skin at night to remove all the makeup, oils, dirt, and grime from your skin to keep it clean and healthy. Double cleansing (cleansing multiple times a day or twice at once if your skin is extra dirty) can be helpful too.
When you sleep, your saliva and hair transfer bacteria and oils to your face meaning that a wash in the morning is especially important. If your skin is particularly sensitive, cleansing just once at night might be a better idea, or you can explore using gentler cleansers. Regardless of what cleansing routine winds up being your best option, some form of cleansing is essential to freshen up your face.
2. Exfoliate: By exfoliating your face, you remove dead skin cells thereby preventing flaky skin, acne, clogged pores and milia* (tiny hard white cysts that manifest when keratin becomes trapped below the skin’s surface). Using an exfoliating brush or scrub will keep your skin healthy, even-toned, smooth and glowing! Exfoliating your skin can also help with circulation and lymphatic drainage, increase cell-turnover and stimulate collagen synthesis. It is recommended to exfoliate every 3rd day and ensure the scrub you’re using is gentle and not too abrasive.
3. Tone: Essentially, toning your skin removes all of the excess grime from within your pores that cleansing missed. Toning regularly tightens your pores thereby reducing the look of ageing. It also prepares your skin to better absorb serums and moisturisers. Don’t skip this step! Try to choose a toner without alcohol as alcohol dries out the skin and as we age we need moisture in our skin!
4. Apply Serum: The two main serums to use are ones that include vitamin C in the morning and vitamin A at night. Vitamin C serum helps to heal blemishes, reduce uneven skin, reduce ageing and sagging, and protect from the sun. Vitamin A serum strengthens the dermis of your skin which is where the collagen, elastin, and blood vessels are. This means that vitamin A serum helps reduce the look of ageing skin.
Good quality collagen supplements are another great idea to reduce ageing. You can grab our Perfect Collagen Supplements here. See the article footer to see what other supplements we recommend for radiant youthful-looking skin...
5. Moisturise: Finding the right moisturiser for your skin is crucial, as it keeps your skin smooth and hydrated. Read the moisturiser labels carefully to understand what is in the formula and whether it will work on your skin.
6. Apply Eye Cream: Squinting combined with constant eye movement causes wrinkles, and fluid collection creates puffiness around the eyes. Finding and applying the eye cream daily counteracts these harmful effects to reduce the look of aged skin.
7. Consume Healthily: There are few truer expressions than “you are what you eat.” What you put into your body matters, especially with respect to your skin. Lots of water, no smoking, and a healthy wholefood diet will make a world of difference in the appearance of your skin.
Take on the mantra 'beauty from the inside out' and work diligently on supplying your body with the highest nutrition you possibly can!
Nutrition in the form of a wholesome whole food diet and high-quality supplements that help to fill in the gaps that diet alone may not achieve...
Healthy skin comes from seeking out high calibre collagen peptides (hydrolyzed collagen), and other 'nutritionals' to take your skincare to the next level.
Perfect Supplements have some of the purest and most nutrient-dense supplements available and I've listed some of my personal favourite skin-loving, radiance-boosting supplements below...
Or Try One of our other healthy skin essentials
Perfect Organic Baobab Powder: Baobab is an incredible super fruit and super food but it's also a must-have beauty-booster! Let me explain...
This low-carb fruit from the African 'tree of life' boasts a pretty impressive array of nutritional properties, nutrition that has been shown time and time again to help boost skin health and skin's appearance. This is mostly due to the anti-ageing vitamin C it contains and it's high level of antioxidants that fight the free radicals that age us.
Baobab is rich in polyphenols that are important for skin health.
Perfect Magnesium: magnesium is essential for good skin as it can help to protect against external damage, regulate cellular repair and regeneration. In fact, without adequate magnesium levels, you could not achieve a healthy glow! Magnesium is essential to maintain a healthy skin barrier, but not only that but it's also known to help fight off dry, damaged skin, yes please!!
Learn more about how magnesium is vital for gorgeous skin but also it's role in hydrolyzed collagen's bioavailability (how well it's absorbed by the body). Click here to get informed.
Where to Start?
Radiant Skin Pack!
This pack contains our 3 favourite skin-loving supplements - Hydrolyzed collagen, Magnesium powder and organic baobab powder. All the things to get you started on your radiant skin journey...
But what is great about these 3, is they're not just great for skin, but they can also help improve gut health, inflammation, fluid retention, weight loss/management, immunity, help stabilising blood sugar, improving digestion, nourishing the gut microbiome and much much more!
These would have to be in my top 5 of favourite supplements and I have them in my smoothie most days.
Maybe you've been having great success with the collagen powder or a combination of collagen and magnesium but want to take things up a notch or two... adding Perfect Organic Baobab could be just what you're looking for?
To Finish Up
With a greater understanding of what a proper skincare routine does for you, you’re well on your way to radiant skin. Follow this routine and you’ll see subtle changes within days and drastic changes within weeks.
Investing in good skincare is also key! Remember, you are WORTH it! Take great care of your skin and it will take good care of you for year to come.
Note: as you get into your 30’s, 40’s and beyond, it’s a good idea to get a facial once in awhile to address other skin concerns you may have and also to receive treatments (like microdermabrasion and laser therapy) that you can’t effectively do from home.
*Milia can only be effectively removed by a qualified beauty therapist and often you may need to get a microdermabrasion first.
My recommendations for Skin Care brands
When I was younger, I used to use the brand ‘Acure’ skincare as their products are quite inexpensive but as I am now in my 40’s and I know I need to take things up a notch, I need a product that has more of a cosmeceutical* (skin care with active ingredients). The 2 brands I love for skincare now are Dermalogica and ASAP. I am not affiliated with these brands whatsoever, I just really love their products. My skin has never felt so good!
*According to DermColl; “Cosmeceuticals are products that have both cosmetic and therapeutic (medical or drug-like) effects, and are intended to have a beneficial effect on skin health and beauty. Like cosmetics, they are applied topically as creams or lotions but contain active ingredients that have an effect on skin cell function”
Disclaimer: this article is intended purely as an information source and not advice. One should seek professional skincare advice from their trusted beauty therapist or aesthetician and supplement advice from their trusted physician, dietician or nutritionist.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Therapeutic Goods Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Always consult your health care professional before starting a course of any supplementation.