Most people's body's would contain various levels an accumulation of glyphosate (read our other glyphosate blog here) but did you know that you can actually take a test to see what your levels are.
I wrote this 'How to Detox from Glyphosate' blog for anyone who wants to achieve a greater level of health and vitality.
I have not personally done this test but I do live a very healthy lifestyle, reducing my exposure and practicing most if not all of the things I am about to mention here to help you to detox this common herbicide from your body.
It's vital to consume as much organic food and beverages as you can possibly afford or access as conventional foods etc. often contain glyphosate.
Include these Foods, Herbs & Supplements
- Citrus Pectin: this soluble fibre is known to detox heavy metals from the body and also clear out cholesterol due to its powerful binding nature.
- Kelp: the alginates in kelp (Iceland kelp is one of the best), have been proven to have protective benefits when it comes to toxins. Alginates may also help to effectively remove both heavy metals and harmful toxins like glyphosate. Kelp also contains iodine and other protective minerals. Iodine is known to help prevent the absorption radioactive ions and harmful halogens such as fluoride, bromide and chlorine (from pesticides).
- Glycine: found largely in collagen supplements, gelatin and bone broth. This amino acid is crucial to the creation of glutathione. Glutathione is a powerful detoxifier made by our body and NAC (N-acetyl-cysteine) is a precursor to glutathione (see below to find out food sources of NAC). One thing you can do to improve your glutathione production is to eat more sulfur-rich foods such as sauerkraut (preferably organic if possible).
- Gingko Biloba: this powerful ancient herb is known to be very protective against glyphosate-toxicity.
- Prebiotics and Probiotics: both of these are essential for a healthy, happy gut environment and if you've had glyphosate exposure (which most of us have), incorporating pre & probiotics is wise as it helps to restore gut bacteria that glyphosate destroys.
A Word on Probiotics
Let's start with probiotics (as we often get asked if we stock one). Before you go and purchase some expensive probiotic pill that's likely manufactured in a lab, know that you can get probiotics naturally and inexpensively from fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kefir, kombucha, natto, tempeh, kimchi, miso*, probiotic natural yoghurt (without all the sugar, gums or artificial flavours or sweeteners), beet kvass, lacto-fermented beverages (preferably homemade) and other probiotic beverages.
I even lacto-ferment my grains before cooking them to break down the phytic acid contained in the grain (phytic acid is part of the plants defence system and it can make it difficult for our bodys to digest this - thus the importance of soaking grains).
The lacto-fermentation also adds beneficial probiotics to improve gut health.
A Few Word in Prebiotics
These guys have only really been in the spotlight more so as of recent times, before this it was all about the importance of probiotics, but now we are learning that we can't have happy, healthy gut flora (gut bacteria) without the proper gut bug nourishment.
This nourishment comes in the form of prebiotic fibre.
Prebiotics come from prebiotic fibre that comes from food. The best sources are chicory root, dandelion greens, Jerusalem artichoke, garlic, onions, leeks, asparagus, bananas (green), barley, oats, apples, konjac root, burdock root, flax seeds, yakon root, jicama root, wheat bran, seaweed and baobab (my personal favourite).
*Try to ensure certified organic where possible to avoid glyphosate.
*Try to go for the ones in the health food store over the supermarket ones as they will most likely be better quality and actually contain probiotics and have less to no questionable ingredients.
Food Sources of NAC
NAC stands for N-Acetyl Cysteine) and it's known to be a precursor to glutathione synthesis. This is taken in supplement form. The food version is just plain old cysteine. You can get cysteine from foods such as pork, beef, chicken, tuna, lentils, oats, whole eggs (yolk and all), yoghurt, sunflower seeds andSswiss cheese.
Ways to Naturally Boost Glutathione
We talked briefly about adding more sulfur-rich foods to your diet such as sauerkraut because this compound is found to boost your body's production of glutathione. Glutathione is a crucial detoxifying antioxidant! It is needed in the detox process and without it, you may not have much success with removing glyphosate (and any toxin) from your body.
- Dairy products: if you can tolerate dairy, it might be a good idea to include more into your diet. The reason for this is because dairy contains beta-casein (a milk protein) that is known to help increase glutathione levels in the body. A2 milk may be more powerful than A1 milk for this purpose but it's important to keep in mind that pasteurised milk is practically devoid of goodness (the heating process destroys much of the vital nutrients). Raw milk (though controversial) is definitely a more whole and nourishing source of nutrition and I even heard a lady (on a podcast) once talk about how she healed her gut issues with drinking raw milk for a short period of time. If you add kefir grains to it and allow it to ferment, you've got yourself a great source of natural probiotics that help repopulate the gut after glyphosate kills off gut flora.
- Exercise: regular movement has been suggested to help (by researchers), to reduce oxidative stress by boosting levels of glutathione.
Other Ways to Detoxify Glyphosate
Investing in an infrared sauna or a cheaper, infrared blanket can be useful to add to your detox program.
As you may know, the purpose of an infrared sauna is to detoxify through sweating. To sweat is to eliminate toxins through your body's largest organ - the skin.
This may in turn help you to detox glyphosate from your system. Infrared sauna use has so many wonderful benefits for wellbeing and it's very relaxing (if you can handle the heat and don't mind the sweating?). Personally, I love it! I am in mine almost every single day. It gives me so much energy, calm, clear mind and keeps my skin healthy.
Another thing you can add to your detox protocol if you own a bath, is to take a detox bath 2-3 times per week. I wrote a blog dedicated to this topic, click here to learn more.
Read all of Our Glyphosate Blogs Here:
- Glyphosate Gut Health and Disease
- The Importance of Glyphosate Free Supplements
- Glyphosate in Bone Broth and Collagen Supplements (not Perfect Supplements of course!)
We hope you enjoy them and would love it if you would share them with your friends and loved ones.
*Disclaimer: the information in this article is intended purely as information and not health advice. It is not intended to treat, diagnose, prevent or cure and one should always seek expert advice from their trusted health practitioner.