Glyphosate in Bone Broth and Collagen Supplements
Before you read any further, I must inform you that all the Perfect Supplements are 100% Glyphosate-free!
When it comes to healing and great health, 2 things come to mind... bone broth and collagen!
Bone broth is a wonderfully healing food and incredibly simple and cost-effective to make (you just need a little time and patience).
You might have seen bone broths available in your supermarket, health food store or online and these can be a time-saving option, however... it is crucial to know the source and know and understand the ingredients they contain as they're not all the same or created equally.
When choosing a bone broth it's best to look for one that is either grass-fed and glyphosate-free or certified organic. This will help to ensure quality and purity as you won't be getting harmful herbicides that are commonly sprayed on conventional farms and around livestock.
Broth is made with the bones of various animals. You could make broth with the bones of a pig (pork), a cow (beef), turkey, lamb, bison, venison, chicken or fish and probably other animals in different countries.
Also known as 'stock', broth is made by simmering bones and connective tissue with other ingredients such as celery, carrot, onion, bay leaves, pepper corns and apple cider vinegar. The ACV helps with releasing the nutrients from the bones.
Now we look at collagen
Collagen is the most abundant protein in our body and it's production breaks down as we age so it can be a good idea to take it in supplement form to help increase collagen for better wellbeing. Collagen is also found in bone broth and has the same potential benefits.
Taking a hydrolyzed collagen supplement is a really convenient way to get these same benefits (potentially). Bone broth though does of course contain extra nutrients as it's a whole food source.
Collagen peptides (hydrolyzed collagen) are known to help in all kinds of ways, such as gut health, skin, hair, nails, inflammation, sleep, tissue repair and more.
Not all collagen supplements are created equally and are therefore, not the same.
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Some collagen supplements may contain glyphosate (a harmful and potentially carcinogenic herbicide sprayed on many conventional farms and around livestock. Please read out Glyphosate blog here.
- Glyphosate has been shown to potentially impair collagen, affect gut health and more.
- It can also mimic glycine thus causing disruption to proteins (this may cause genetic mutations). Glycine is the most prevalent amino acid and is likely to be replaced by glyphosate when someone has been frequently exposed to this agricultural chemical.
- Affects proteins and amino acids (these are the building blocks to life)!
From the research done, glyphosate has many harmful risks and it was considered "possibly carcinogenic" by the WHO in 2017. The negative impacts from regular glyphosate exposure include (but limited to):
- Liver problems (cholestasis)
- Kidney stones (renal lithiasis)
- Gut issues/disorders such as IBS, IBD, Leaky Gut (intestinal permeability, Gut Dysbiosis and Celiac disease)
- Hormone imbalances and endocrine disorders/disease such as hypothyroidism.
- Immune disruption (our innate immune system)
- Disruption to metabolic processes.
- Neurological diseases such as Alzheimer's, Autism, MS (multiple sclerosis), Parkinson's and Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease.
- It's bot cytotoxic and genotoxic.
- Linked to cancer.
- Shown to cause unfavourable birth outcomes (shorter pregnancy time and a low birth rate in babies)
- May affect the methylation process (this should be of concern to those who have MTHFR issues).
- May reduce neurotransmitter production leading to mental health issues (anxiety and depression) and cognitive decline.
- Linked to auto-immune diseases such as Lupus, mitochondrial disease, non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma and Celiac disease (which is also a digestive disorder).
- Linked to bone diseases such as osteoporosis and osteomalacia.
So as you can see, glyphosate can have some potential catastrophic effects on human health and if you already realise this and are trying to avoid it, you might wish to purchase a glyphosate-free collagen supplement like Perfect Grass-fed Hydrolyzed powder (click below) and also learn other ways to keep your exposure to a minimum. Click here to read our 'How to Detox from Glyphosate' blog.
*Disclaimer: the information in this article is intended purely as information and not health advice. It is not intended to treat, diagnose, prevent or cure and one should always seek expert advice from their trusted health practitioner.