Mercury is considered to be one of the most toxic substances known to man and more toxic than arsenic and aluminum/aluminium. In fact, the WHO categorised mercury in the top 10 of most concerning chemicals to the public as a whole.
It is known to attack the CNS (central nervous system) and lead to neurological issues like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. It is also linked to common problems like Autism, ADD, brain fog and mental illness.
Mercury (from amalgam fillings) may produce breathing disorders (that are chronic) such as asthma, bronchitis, congestion in the chest, shortness of breath, a cough that's persistent and even bad breath! That is because of the mercury vapours from the mercury fillings being breathed in constantly.
Toxicity from mercury can seriously disrupt hormones, gut health and may lead to allergies and autoimmune problems.
Mercury toxicity is also gradual and progressive. Symptoms of toxicity may start with anxiety and then depression but may go on to develop hypothyroidism (under -active thyroid function). They may go on to develop any number of health issues.
According to the NSW health department, even small amounts of mercury can cause digestive and immune issues but also problems with eyes, skin, lungs and kidneys.
Exposure to mercury (especially from silver dental fillings) can cause anger outbursts, mood disorders, shaking hands and much more!
Upon research, it's pretty clear to see that mercury has some pretty serious affects on human health. Over on the Weston A Price blog, they mention that mercury can affect every system in the body and not only does it cause anxiety and other mental issues but it may even cause psychosis!
Where Can Mercury be Found?
We may be exposed to mercury in many ways, such as:
- Eating seafood: Through eating lots of seafood that contains methylmercury. The main species to be concerned with for mercury are the pelagic fish such as tuna, mackerel, swordfish, shark, orange roughy. Fish like snapper, cod, pearl perch, coral trout and red emperor are considered safe. If you have a good gut flora you are more protected when you eat the risky varieties of seafood but more on that soon...
- Amalgam Fillings: This is elemental mercury and it's the main risk factor for mercury toxicity/mercury poisoning is amalgam dental fillings (also known as silver fillings). These are constantly off-gassing their toxic vapours into our mouth and therefore are blood stream and brain. Removing these needs to be done with extreme caution and by someone who specialises in doing so or you may cause more harm to your health. I had mine removed many years ago by a holistic dentist and the detox protocol after and even before was quite extensive.
- Mercury-containing Foods: Other things (foods) that you would not think would contain mercury are rice and all rice products (not good for our gluten-free friends who rely heavily on rice products), but also anything containing HFCS (high-fructose corn syrup) and also many soft drinks as these can also contain HFCS.
- Fluorescent Lighting: Believe it or not, fluoro lights contain mercury so be careful not to break one or you may be in trouble. You can't see the mercury but it is there. Many people don't know the dangers lurking in these light globes.
- Vaccines: Vaccines are a very controversial issue and whether you are for them or against them, the truth of the matter is that many of them still contain mercury. The mercury is contained in the vaccine's preservative - thimerosal. This type of mercury is ethylmercury and it is very toxic - much more than methylmercury found in fish and soil. This is used so that the vaccines don't need to be refrigerated and so the companies who produce these drugs, can make more profits. They are also added to some vaccines, so that they can have multi-vaccines from the same vial.
AUTHOR'S NOTE: we are not referring to the current experimental injection for C-nineteen, this may or may not have mercury as far as we know it is not a traditional protein vaccine. Please do your own research. We are also not trying to push any agenda with this article, we realise the topic is very polarising/dividing and we don't wish to give our view about current events here. This article's core focus is giving the information about mercury so people can make their own decisions.
Create a Good Defence Against Mercury Toxicity
As mentioned earlier, when you have healthy gut flora (more good guys than bad guys) and you have good gut health, your body is more protected against toxins of all sorts - including mercury.
Also, when you are properly nourished by eating a diet that includes animal fats, it makes you stronger and you are again, more protected. The reason for this is because animal fats like grass-fed ghee and butter contain vitamin A.
How Saturated Fat Can Protect Us from Toxins
Saturated fats have had a bad name in the past and there are still some people who are of the belief that they are bad but in fact, that is just outdated and plain incorrect. It's time that saturated fat had a new brand campaign and there are lots of people now waking up to the validity about the saturated fat health benefits.
The truth is, that saturated fats are not harmful but rather healthful and helpful to the body. They are protective by nature and they've even been shown to protect the liver and in fact, our body's protective mechanisms are based on saturated fat.
These fats give us a protective layer (a type of shield if you will?) against some of the harmful things we ingest. It's not just the fats in our body but also the fats we are eating.
Fats support enzymatic processes that we need to rid our body of toxins. In addition to this, animal fats often contain vitamin A and this nutrient plays a key role in protecting us from toxicity.
It is best to get this vitamin from animal products such as liver, organ meats, grass-fed butter/ghee and cod liver oil (preferably fermented).
How to Detox from Mercury
There is a right and of course a wrong way to detox from mercury and it's done through proper chelation therapy which will be explained soon...
A chelator is a substance that binds to metals in the bloodstream to be filtered by the kidneys and passed through the urine. But it must be done properly or the mercury may be redistributed throughout the body tissues and go on to cause more harm...
Mercury is attracted to thiols (hydrogen sulfide) and sulfur and these are both contained in our cells. For a substance to be a true chelator, it must have 2 thiols (hydrogen sulfide) groups per molecule. These molecules are spaced out accordingly in order to fit around the mercury icon, so that when a chelator molecule comes to play, it can attach to this mercury ion and form a strong bond - strong enough to drag the mercury away from its clutches.
However, if the type of chelation therapy isn't applied, the mercury may not leave the body, but rather re-dispersed in the bodily tissues once again.
The Cutler Chelation Protocol
Developed the by late Andrew Hall Cutler Phd PE, the Cutler protocol has been shown to be the safest and most effective way to remove mercury from the body.
He utilises 3 different chelators - ALA, DMPS and DMSA.
His protocol is designed to keep chelation levels stable in the blood and the process can take several months to complete. For some it may even take years, it really just depends on the individual.
You can find his protocol here.
Vibrant health is a journey and often it can take time to regain true health when we've had years of toxicity or illness but it's certainly worth trying everything in our power to get to this state of optimal wellbeing, don't you think so?
It's also important to mention, that we are not affiliated with any other person or brand and we aren't pushing any protocol or product onto anybody, we are simply here to provide others with information that empowers them with choices they may not have been given by their GP? Integrative practitioners on the other hand may be better versed in this type of treatment.
Often general practitioners don't know about heavy metal detoxification or chelation therapy so it's my job as a wellness educator to provide you with these options.
I hope you enjoyed today's blog and it added some kind of value to your life. If you found it useful, we'd appreciate it that you could please share it with those you know. Knowledge is power and we all have the ability to effect change.
Together we can get Australians healthier. 😊
*Disclaimer: the information in this article is intended purely as information and not health advice. It is not intended to treat, diagnose, prevent or cure and one should always seek expert advice from their trusted health practitioner.