Toxic Mercury on Our Health, How to Avoid it and How to Detox from it?
Mercury is considered to be one of the most toxic substances known to man and more toxic than arsenic and aluminum/aluminium. In fact, the WHO categorised mercury in the top 10 of most concerning chemicals to the public as a whole.
It is known to attack the CNS (central nervous system) and lead to neurological issues like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. It is also linked to common problems like Autism, ADD, brain fog and mental illness.
Mercury (from amalgam fillings) may produce breathing disorders (that are chronic) such as asthma, bronchitis, congestion in the chest, shortness of breath, a cough that's persistent and even bad breath! That is because of the mercury vapours from the mercury fillings being breathed in constantly.
Toxicity from mercury can seriously disrupt hormones, gut health and may lead to allergies and autoimmune problems.
Mercury toxicity is also gradual and progressive. Symptoms of toxicity may start with anxiety and then depression but may go on to develop hypothyroidism (under -active thyroid function). They may go on to develop any number of health issues.
According to the NSW health department, even small amounts of mercury can cause digestive and immune issues but also problems with eyes, skin, lungs and kidneys.
Exposure to mercury (especially from silver dental fillings) can cause anger outbursts, mood disorders, shaking hands and much more!
Upon research, it's pretty clear to see that mercury has some pretty serious affects on human health. Over on the Weston A Price blog, they mention that mercury can affect every system in the body and not only does it cause anxiety and other mental issues but it may even cause psychosis!
Where Can Mercury be Found?
We may be exposed to mercury in many ways, such as:
- Eating seafood: Through eating lots of seafood that contains methylmercury. The main species to be concerned with for mercury are the pelagic fish such as tuna, mackerel, swordfish, shark, orange roughy. Fish like snapper, cod, pearl perch, coral trout and red emperor are considered safe. If you have a good gut flora you are more protected when you eat the risky varieties of seafood but more on that soon...
- Amalgam Fillings: This is elemental mercury and it's the main risk factor for mercury toxicity/mercury poisoning is amalgam dental fillings (also known as silver fillings). These are constantly off-gassing their toxic vapours into our mouth and therefore are blood stream and brain. Removing these needs to be done with extreme caution and by someone who specialises in doing so or you may cause more harm to your health. I had mine removed many years ago by a holistic dentist and the detox protocol after and even before was quite extensive.
- Mercury-containing Foods: Other things (foods) that you would not think would contain mercury are rice and all rice products (not good for our gluten-free friends who rely heavily on rice products), but also anything containing HFCS (high-fructose corn syrup) and also many soft drinks as these can also contain HFCS.
- Fluorescent Lighting: Believe it or not, fluoro lights contain mercury so be careful not to break one or you may be in trouble. You can't see the mercury but it is there. Many people don't know the dangers lurking in these light globes.
- Vaccines: Vaccines are a very controversial issue and whether you are for them or against them, the truth of the matter is that many of them still contain mercury. The mercury is contained in the vaccine's preservative - thimerosal. This type of mercury is ethylmercury and it is very toxic - much more than methylmercury found in fish and soil. This is used so that the vaccines don't need to be refrigerated and so the companies who produce these drugs, can make more profits. They are also added to some vaccines, so that they can have multi-vaccines from the same vial.
Create a Good Defence Against Mercury Toxicity
How Saturated Fat Can Protect Us from Toxins
How to Detox from Mercury
The Cutler Chelation Protocol
I hope you enjoyed today's blog and it added some kind of value to your life. If you found it useful, we'd appreciate it that you could please share it with those you know. Knowledge is power and we all have the ability to effect change.
Together we can get Australians healthier. 😊