There are lots and lots of healthy ingredients you can put into your smoothie these days for sure. Everything from raw cacao, nuts, berries, tahini, gojis, chia seeds, nut butters, frozen/frozen, veggies fresh/frozen fruits, dates, herbs, avocado, pulses, seeds, ginger, turmeric, coconut milk/cream, coconut water, yoghurt, activated oats, spirulina, collagen, fats, broth, eggs, other super foods and so much more!
The list can be at times overwhelming, I totally feel you and sometimes you may feel stumped for ideas. It's also really important to mention, that your smoothie should be balanced so you make the most of this opportunity to get exactly what your body needs - and FAST!
Smoothies are quick and simple to make and if done right (the healthy way) they can keep you fuelled for hours and kicking your life goals!
If done the wrong way though, they can cause energy crashes and potentially other health issues.
What is the Wrong Way?
Well that's a great question and I'm so glad you asked! There are LOADS of things I wouldn't recommend adding to your smoothies if you want to be a healthy human, and some of these things are...
Regular Pasteurised Cow's Milk
- Often contains hormones, antibiotics and even pus (yuck!)
- Contains no real nutritional value
- Contains lactose which many people are intolerant to
Organic Raw Milk is a healthier option (if you're not intolerant) and I am not saying you should go out and purchase this milk to consume as I believe it may be taboo to promote consumption of raw milk in this country but I will let you do your own research. Follow Weston A Price Foundation for more info about this type of milk.
- Tap water often contains harmful chemicals such as chlorine and fluoride (both toxic to human health when consumed)
- Bottled water is often just tap water disguised as something pure and healthy, when in fact it is usually just filtered tap water and how filtered is it really?
- Bottled water is contained in plastic bottles and sometimes the plastic can seep into the water - especially when the bottles have been exposed to sunlight!
Sugary Fruit Juice or Cordial
- It's probably a wise idea to avoid any of these full STOP if you want true health as they usually contain refined sugar and refined sugar is an anti-nutrient that robs your body of nutrition, not to mention (well it's actually worth mentioning) that sugar can cause wrinkles and premature ageing! So if you don't care about diabetes but you care about ageing fast, avoid all refined sugar at all cost.
- Steer clear of things that say "sugar-free" because this is most likely a marketing ploy to get you to buy a product that is claiming to be healthy but what you're getting is probably fake sugars (chemical sugars like aspartame for example) and these will do you more harm than good! Stevia I think is ok in small amounts but I've read that Xylitol can cause gastrointestinal discomfort, including flatulence, diarrhoea. Best to stick to natural sugars like fruits, raw honey, organic maple syrup and medjool dates.
Now don't hate me just yet... if you like a chocolate kind of smoothie there are options I promise and these won't leave you in some kind of sugar coma energy crash.
The thing is, most store-bought chocolate contains refined sugar and often milk and at times chemicals, so adding chocolate in this form is not recommended (if you want to be healthy and beaming with vitality).
The good news is you can still have your chocolate but in the form of raw cacao and you can sweeten up your smoothie with a couple of medjool dates or a small amount of date syrup, raw honey or organic maple syrup. Yass!
This is kind of a no-brainer but it needs a mention...
As you know, ice cream is generally from dairy and is usually laden with sugar (refined) and often contains other ingredients such as stabilisers and plant gums and is pasteurised and homogenised. You already get a vibe that ice cream is not a healthy smoothie ingredient naw a health food full stop but I don't have to tell you that.
The better alternative to regular ice cream would be coconut ice cream but be careful of what ingredients are in it as some can contain refined sugar too. Look for one that contains coconut sugar and the less ingredients the better!
Rather than coconut ice cream you could just use plain old coconut cream but again, look at the ingredients list and see what it contains. Things to look for:
- Preservatives? if so, which ones?
- Additives? if so, which ones?
- Thickener? Stabiliser?
- BPA Free lining of can
Cheap/Inferior Protein Powders
Many common protein powders are difficult to digest for most people - especially whey and pea proteins (both can cause bloating, gas and tummy pain). Whey protein often comes from cows who are sick (pumped full of antibiotics) and hormones so best to avoid whey protein unless you find a really clean source but even then it can still have negative effects on your digestion.
Peas are a legume and legumes can cause digestive upset
for some people so if you know that's you then perhaps pea protein is not for you?
Many protein powders available can contain sugars, fake sugars, synthetic/artificial ingredients and other nasty chemicals.
There is an Alternative
The most pure, absorbable and easily digested protein you can buy is Hydrolyzed Collagen powder. This is non-vegan but dairy-free and it contains important amino acids needed for certain bodily processes and vibrant health. Not only that though, Hydrolyzed Collagen powder has no taste, smell or texture and blends into just about anything (not just smoothies), PLUS it has a squillion potential health benefits.
Often people will ask me what I put in my smoothie and that's why I talk about it and demonstrate how to over on our Instagram stories. People see the ingredients (including supplements) that I add in for maximum energy, gut health, clarity of mind and satisfaction.
I was asked so many times to have these (4) products made into a pack and I thought that was such a great idea I decided to do exactly that!
So what are my top 4 smoothie ingredients I hear you say?
Well these 4 are my absolute must-haves and that's because they give me everything I need to get going (and stay going) for my morning until lunch time and if I'm intermittent fasting I'll have my smoothie for lunch and it will keep me going until dinner.
So without further ado, here they are with a brief explanation as to why I've included them...
- Organic MCT oil: I never used to understand all the fuss with MCT oil until we started stocking it but I get it now! It gives me a lot of energy and mental clarity so I can be more focused and productive throughout my day
- Organic Matchinga Powder (matcha & moringa): well I had used both of these products over the years and knew how amazing I felt on them so when Perfect Supplements came out with a product that combined the two, well I was sold! I absolutely LOVE how great I feel when I've had my Matchinga (sounds like some kind of latin dance he he). The potential benefits are beyond words and I'm continually finding out more and more about what it can do. I particularly love the energy I feel and a buzz without the jitters that you can get from coffee. I have it as a tea in the morning and then add it to my smoothie later on.
- Organic Spirulina Powder: this has been a staple in my smoothies for at least 5 years and because the environment contains a lot of toxins (such as heavy metals) I use this product to help pull them out of my body as a preventative way of avoiding serious illness. I find it gives me good energy also and like Matchinga, it contains LOADS of nutrition.
- Hydrolyzed Collagen Powder: I look to collagen powder for many of my daily needs; everything from protein + amino acids, gut health, skin/nails/hair/muscles/joints, energy and sleep. You name it and this super powder can probably provide. It is the HOLY GRAIL of health supplements and protein powders and you only have to read the over 100 x 5 star reviews on the to see just how much this product is changing lives.
So that's my fave 4 and I'm so happy to tell you that they're now available in a pack right here. Be sure to sign up for my FREE smoothie eBook on the hoe page if you haven't already.
Now don't think I'm gonna leave you here hanging without a delicious smoothie recipe, I've got your back! ;)
Tam's Best Ever Green Super Smoothie
- 1 cup coconut water *1 small banana
- 1 cup frozen/fresh blueberries (organic if possible)
- 1 scoop Perfect Organic Spirulina Powder
- 1 Scoop Perfect Organic Matchinga Powder
- 1 tbsp Perfect Organic MCT oil
- 1 Scoop Perfect Hydrolyzed Collagen Powder
- Handful Ice
1. Add your base liquid (you may like to use water, nut milk, coconut milk, watermelon etc..)
2. Add in the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth
3. Serve and drink right away or on the run to work, gym or travelling
I hope you enjoyed this recipe and blog today as much as I enjoyed making it!
Please share your feedback here with us and let us know what you thought of the recipe, the blog or the pack :)
*Disclaimer: the information in this article is intended purely as information and not health advice. It is not intended to treat, diagnose, prevent or cure and one should always seek expert advice from their trusted health practitioner.