Who ever said that you "can't have your cake and eat it too" has never tried these healthy brownies.
I'm calling them "brownies with benefits" because a) they are soooo darn healthy and b) because I'm playing on the valentine's theme if you know what I mean? If you don't you soon will...
You will LOVE these brownies if you:
- Are following a low-carb lifestyle
- Are on a diet or reducing sugar
- Are looking for yummier ways (than eating sauerkraut) to improve your gut health
- Are seeking more hormonal balance
- Are looking for healthier chocolate alternatives
- Are tired of a bland way of eating?
- Are looking to improve PMS, perimenopause or menopausal symptoms*
- Are looking for something enjoyable to treat yourself while you manage your weight*
- Are seeking natural ways to help with fluid retention
- Are following an anti-inflammatory diet
- Are wanting to help slow down the ageing process
- You want to get more healthy protein into your diet
- Are looking to improve the health of your skin, hair and nails
I could go on and on and while you may be thinking, this is a lot of potentials in just one small brownie, I want to explain how this can be so...
*Of course, this is in conjunction with a healthy wholesome diet, adequate water intake, stress management and regular exercise! We don't want to create any false hope or unrealistic expectations here.
It's all in the ingredients of course!
When you carefully combine some high-quality organic and other natural ingredients and throw in some super foods and good healthy fats and gut-loving prebiotic fibre, you are really in for some nourishment!
From someone who has dealt with gut issues most of their adult life, I too know what it is like to deal with the pain, discomfort and inconvenience of digestive issues so when I am creating recipes, I am very careful what goes int there.
FODMAPS can be hard for some people and FODMAPS are in many foods but are only a problem for people who have IBS and other severe digestive issues and SIBO sufferers. If you'd like to learn more about FODMAP diet for IBS, and what FODMAPS are, be sure to check out our blog here.
For me personally I am ok with some FODMAPS and this is the reason that this recipe is not 100% FODMAP-free, it does contain Lakanto which is a combination of monk fruit sweetener and all-natural, non-GMO erythritol. So if you are sensitive to this polyol (the P in FODMAP), be sure to use maple syrup instead (same quantity) as maple is low FODMAP. It is a sugar so just be aware of that if you are trying to manage weight, you just may have to watch your portion size?
At the end of the blog, I will talk more about the particular whole food supplements that I've incorporated into this recipe, but let's get to the recipe first...
Brownies with Benefits
- 1 cup of almond meal or almond flour
- 1/2 cup of Perfect Organic Plant Protein Powder
- 1 cup of raw cacao powder
- 1/2cup of Lakanto (in sugar section at Coles or Woolies)
- 5-6 tablespoons of Perfect Organic Coconut Oil
- 4-6 scoops of Perfect Organic Baobab Powder
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of ground ginger
- A pinch of cayenne pepper (if you like spicy)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 heaped tsp of aluminium-free baking powder
Ingredients for Chocolate Fudge Sauce:
- 1/4 cup of Perfect Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp of Raw Cacao
- 1 tbsp of pure Maple syrup*
- The contents of 2-4 Perfect Organic cordyceps capsules (optional but may have "love" benefits if you know what I mean)? 💋
*A small amount of maple syrup is usually ok for most people as it contains minerals/healthy benefits. If you are doing the sugar-free thing please omit or use liquid stevia drops x 4 instead.
Note: for best health benefits, be sure to source organic ingredients when possible
- Pre-heat your oven to
- In a bowl, add the Lakanto and eggs and beat for a couple of minutes
- Add in the coconut oil and beat again
- Add in the vanilla, cacao, baobab, plant protein, almond meal, baking powder and spices and beat until well-combined
- Pour into a lined slice tin and bake in your pre-heated oven for 18 minutes
- Take out when done and allow to cool
- Once cool enough, tip out onto a chopping board (it helps if you place the board on top of the brownie and then tip it upside down)
- Cut up into brownie-sized pieces and pop into a serving tray
- Make the chocolate fudge sauce by combining the coconut oil, maple syrup and cacao with a whisk in small bowl
- Spoon over lashings of this delicious sauce all over the brownies.
- Enjoy in moderation (1 brownie, not 10)! 😂
I hope you get to enjoy this recipe and be sure to share the love by sharing this blog link.
More information on why we chose the particular whole food supplements that we did...
Perfect Plant Protein:
This incredible all-natural plant protein is fantastic for many people as it is easy-to-digest as it contains no peas/legumes/grains/whey/soy/dairy etc. just 3 beautiful organic seeds (pumpkin, hemp and sacha inchi). Seeds have been shown to help balance women's hormones and because they contain omega-3 and 6, they are great for hair, skin and nails!
See the Perfect Organic Plant protein below and what others are saying about it...
Disclaimer: the information in this article is intended purely as information and not health advice. It is not intended to treat, diagnose, prevent or cure and one should always seek expert advice from their trusted health practitioner before starting any new supplement if they are unsure.