If you're looking for a healthier sweet to hand out this halloween, these blood orange gummy squares could be your jam.
They are made with the juice of blood oranges but don't worry, if you can't find blood oranges in the supermarket, just use regular oranges.
You could always add some natural food colouring if you had on hand.
Gelatin is loaded with gut-healing and other potential benefits and these don't have a lot of sugar in them (the sugar coating is totally optional)!
- 2 cups of blood orange juice (about 10 blood oranges)
- 5 tbsp of Perfect Gelatin Powder
- 1 tbsp of coconut sugar
- A pinch of cinnamon
- Caster sugar to coat them (optional)
Silicon square moulds are handy here.
- In a juicer, juice your oranges and then strain into a jug to remove any pulp
- In a bowl, add half of the juice and sprinkle over the gelatin to allow it to bloom
- In a saucepan, add the other half of the juice, cinnamon and the sugar
- Allow this to gently heat up (low-medium heat)
- When the gelatin has "bloomed", add this into the saucepan and stir well
- If it is still lumpy, use a hand blender to whizz until smooth (I actually prefer this method)
- Pour into your moulds and refrigerate overnight (or at least 3 hours)
- Take them out of their moulds when ready and coat in caster sugar
Note: We know caster sugar is not good but these gummies even with the caster sugar are nowhere near as bad as the lollies you buy at the store with their colourings and flavourings.
The caster sugar is of course, optional.