The Amazing Health Benefits of Eating Liver
Benefits of Eating Liver
What are the health benefits of eating liver?
It sounds daunting to say that one can benefit from eating liver. Not everyone eats liver, in fact others find it gross eating organ meats. However, liver is an exception especially when sourced from healthy, grass fed organic meats. Liver is loaded with a wide spectrum of proteins and fat, as well as vitamins and minerals needed by the body. It keeps the brain healthy from the rich nutrients it offers and it has essential fatty acids like Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), Arachidonic acid (AA) and Vitamin B12.
Liver is considered a superfood and one must not only be conscious with the supplements taken but the foods eaten as part of the diet. Be more concerned of the nutrients found in foods and consider liver as an important part of the diet.
Liver has been taken for more specific reasons. Physicist Max Gerson used raw liver in his famous treatment for pancreatic cancer. Many doctors (one of them is Dr. Nicholas Gonzales) have used liver to cure patients with anaemia and they have received a Nobel Prize for doing so.
Even some athletes today eat liver as an important part of their diet, the main reason for this is to fight easy fatigability. Dr. Ershoff in 1951 proved it true through an experiment he conducted on rats. The first set of rats was fed with a basic diet plus vitamin B and the second set of rats was fed with powdered liver. The rats were tested to swim in a tub to see how long they’ll last. The first set of rats swam for 13 minutes until they got exhausted but ¾ of the second set of rats who had powdered liver swam all throughout the duration of the study which was 1 hour and 30 minutes. These rats were still swimming even before pulling them out of the tub.
Misconceptions about liver have prevented many people from eating it because it contains toxins that are unhealthy. Liver is believed to be a storage organ for toxins in the body. While it is true that the liver’s role is to neutralise toxins, it does not store any of it in the body. When toxins in the body cannot be eliminated, it will accumulate in the fatty tissues and the nervous system. Essential nutrients like Vitamins A, D, E, K, B12 and folic acid are needed by the body to eliminate toxins.
Studies have shown that the liver functions as a way to remove toxins out of the body rather than storing them. This is the reason why grass fed organic meat is highly recommended for consumption because the cleaner the animal the cleaner the liver.
The Benefits of Liver includes the following:
- It’s rich in iron and is concentrated for it to become usable for the body. Iron is an essential mineral that helps transport oxygen.
- Excellent source of Vitamin B12. B12 is important for neurological health.
- Liver is a good source of selenium. Selenium helps to fight cell damage from free radicals and can also help prevent cancer and heart disease.
- It’s a good source of Vitamin A, which is necessary for healthy immunity, vision and reproductive function.
- It contains copper, folic acid, purines and cholesterol.
- High in Zinc. Zinc is crucial for the metabolism of your cells, wound healing, healthy skin and more..
- It can help combat fatigue, this may have something to do with it’s nutrient density.
Things to Remember When Eating Liver and/or Organ Meats
While liver is widely available in the market here are things you should keep in mind.
- Eat meat and organ meats from animals that are grass fed and raised on fresh pasture.
- Ensure that the source of your organ meats doesn’t use hormones and antibiotics in the animals rearing.
- Animal products raised from fresh pastures have higher nutrients than commercially fed animals.
- Animals that are organically raised will benefit farmers, local communities and the environment.
- Buy it fresh and only from trusted sources.
Taking a liver supplement daily is also an easy way for you to get all the nutrition you need without the fuss of cooking liver. In fact, taking liver capsules is so easy that even the whole family could take them.
Perfect Desiccated Liver Capsules are:
- 100% Argentine Grass-fed Beef Liver
- Nutrient Dense Source of Naturally Occurring High Quality Protein
- Highest Concentrated Source of Vitamin A Found in Nature
- High Content of All B Vitamins, including B12
- Potent Source of Folic Acid
- Highly Bioavailable Form of Iron Good Source of Naturally Occurring Copper, Zinc, and Chromium
- High Content of Cardio-Vascular Function Boosting CoQ10 (Grass-fed, hormone-free cows)
It’s best to have defatted liver or take a un-defatted liver supplement, so that you get all of the fat nutrients.