How to Avoid or Treat Gout Naturally
How to avoid or treat Gout naturally
A long time ago, it was believed that gout only affects the rich because of the fancy foods they eat and the expensive liquors they drink. Now, this belief is proven wrong by researchers and here we will tackle the cause of gout and who is affected by this disease.
Acute gouty arthritis (gout) is a disease that causes severe joint pain. This pain starts out of nowhere, worsens quickly and stops all of a sudden. This is caused by uric acids which build up in the joints overtime. The uric acid forms when the body breaks down purines. These purines can be found in foods and medicines. The body can get rid of uric acids naturally, when it can’t this is the time that uric crystals form in the joints causing the joints to become swollen and very painful. This disease can become permanent and may cause the joints to become damaged.
Who is at Risk?
There are several reasons why a person can be at risk for gouty arthritis; it could be that you body’s ability to break down purine is slow and other reasons like family history of gout, existing kidney disease, if you are alcoholic, a smoker, with medical conditions like diabetes and high blood pressure and if you eat foods that are high in purines. Even children can get affected, therefore proper diet and nutrition must be given attention.
How Will I know I have Acute Gouty Arthritis?
One way to determine if you have acute gouty arthritis is through the following signs and symptoms:
- Sudden joint pain
- Fever and chills
- Body ache
- Weakness, tiredness and confusion
An attack or “flare” can last for days or up to months but with proper management and knowledge about the disease you will be able to prepare yourself for the worst case scenario.
How to Manage Acute Gouty Arthritis Naturally?
Each joint pain and swelling may last longer with each attack and one or more joints may get infected causing all bones to be damaged. High levels of uric acid can increase your risk of heart diseases and kidney stones.
Although there are several medicines that can help relieve the symptoms of acute gouty arthritis. I would still go for what works naturally
REST: rest the affected joint so it would heal.
ICE: Apply ice on the affected area and cover it with a towel for at least 15 to 0 minutes every hour to decrease pain and selling.
ELEVATE: Raise your joint above the level of your heart more often than you can to decrease pain and swelling. It must be above the level of your heart so prop your painful joint on pillows for comfort and ease.
How To Prevent Gout Effectively?
Different methods can be applied to prevent gout effectively but to name a few, a change in the diet and living a healthy lifestyle must be considered.
1. Fluids are a great way to prevent uric acid from building up on your joints. It is also an effective way to decrease the chance of gout attacks. The suggested water intake is to drink at least eight cups (64 fluid ounces) of water everyday. Water is effective in preventing gout attack and 100% fruit juice may also be consumed for a different taste.
2. Potassium rich foods like lima beans, dried peaches, cantaloupe and baked potatoes with skin can help uric acid pass through the system.
3. Eat foods high in vitamin C or take vitamin C supplements because this can significantly help reduce the risk of gout attacks. A study suggests that vitamin C intake must be between 1,500 mg and 2,000 mg daily.
4. Avoid high sugar foods and junk foods because these are the major causes of joint pain and inflammation. Sugary foods contain fructose which are sweeteners to make food tasty, overtime they can form crystals in joints called monosodium urate.
5. Eliminate red meat and fatty foods in your diet. These foods are high in purine and causes gout attack: organ meats, anchovies, sardines, mackerel and gravy formed meat.
If you’ve taken the necessary precautions but the joint pain still persists, better call a healthcare professional who can help you with this problem.