Prevention is better than cure
Sometimes we feel powerless when it comes to getting sick but we actually have a lot more control over it than you think, it really just depends on how dedicated you are to good health.
Maintaining healthy habits can go a long way in protecting your immune system and preventing the spread of a virus in your body. It’s said that the best defence against illness and disease is a good offence. To protect your health from colds and flu this winter season, here are proven strategies to staying healthy all year round.
Colds and flu can spread via droplets once released in the air when someone who is sick coughs, sneezes or even talks! Touching a surface area where a sick person has touched can also be contagious. Follow these tips to prevent coughs, colds and flu.
Tweaking Your Habit
- Sneeze into a tissue: or at least your elbow to avoid spreading germs.
- Wash your hands as often as you can with soap and clean running water. You must also avoid touching parts of your face like the eyes, nose and lips to reduce the likelihood of viruses entering your body. A study made by the University of California, Berkeley in 2008 found that the typical person makes the hand-to-face connection an average of 16 times per hour.
- Avoid touching surfaces that other people touch if you can. Use paper towel if you must when you open door knobs, use telephone and be extra cautious inside the restroom.
- Look after your gut and keep it healthy because 80% of your immune system is located in your gut. Maintain your gut in tip top shape as much as possible as the good bacteria inside your gut can help avoid flu infections from invading your body.
- De-stress! Stress can suppress the immune system making you susceptible to illnesses and diseases. Do meditation, yoga, quieten your mind, read or have massage or other forms of relaxing body work.
- Never underestimate the power of quality sleep, get 7-9 hours of restful sleep at night to boost your immune health.
- Lessen sugar intake and reduce alcohol consumption, if not then totally avoid alcohol to prevent suppression of the central nervous system which can make it difficult for your body to fight off flu. Suppression of your immune system may cause leaky gut, which again can be a cause for flu viruses to spread in the body.
- No excuse workout must be done whether you are feeling well or not. Get moving, stay active, sweat out to release toxins and reduce stress. Exercise can boost immune system by improving blood circulation and relieving stress. When this happens, it is easier for the immune system to fight off when illness strikes.
- Incorporate pure therapeutic grade essential oils that have incredible healing and protective powers for one’s health & wellbeing. To learn how to make your own anti-flu hand wash click here.
- Eat a more wholesome nourishing diet that includes organic eggs, free-range or organic meats and organ meats, grass-fed butter, seafood, fermented cod liver oil, and lots of fresh fruit and veggies (load up on foods that pack the biggest nutritional punch). A diet rich in these foods can ward off the need for medicines in many cases. Incorporate immune boosting nutrients from fruits and veggies to help you achieve optimal health and avoid being sick.
I always harp on about an organic whole food diet and I will keep going there because the benefits are massive in terms of vitality and longevity. I realise eating organic is not always affordable for everybody so just do the best you can.
One of the main reasons that we (my husband Jason and I) choose to eat organic is because we both want to avoid consuming glyphosate and GMOs where ever we possibly can. I have studied this area extensively and written many blogs about Glyphosate and its dangers so be sure to check out our Glyphosate, Gut Health and disease blog here.
This blog will lead you to many more related articles to get you started.
Your diet should include the following:
- Fresh Herbal teas with raw honey*
- Chlorella & spirulina
- Raw Garlic and ginger
- Herbs and spices
- Berries such as raspberries and blueberries
- Mushrooms (high in B vitamins)
- Green juices/smoothies
- Less processed foods, refined junk foods and takeaway
- Less to no vegetable oils (these are corrosive to the gut and health)
- Organic fruits and vegetables
- Coconut, hemp, flax and olive oil
- Organic eggs (throw raw egg yolks into a smoothie)
- Lots of pure, chemical-free water (8-10 glasses per day)
*Herbs such as oregano, thyme and sage are amazing for fighting viruses!
Best Supplements for Super Immunity:
(Take any of the following to help fight viruses and make your immune system a weapon of mass viral destruction)
- Zinc (you can find in liver/liver supplements, eggs and oysters)
- Bioavailable Non-synthetic Vitamin C (you can find in Acerola Cherry)
- Vitamin D3
- Desiccated Liver capsules or cooked liver
- Eyebright herbal tea or tincture
- Raw honey with raw garlic
- Mullein leaf
- Olive leaf extract
- Ginger and turmeric shots or tea (add raw honey)
- Lomatium root (incredible for lung issues like bronchitis and pneumonia)
There are many other foods to avoid if you truly want abundant health and nobody ever said it is easy, I even fall off the wagon myself from time to time but I know how much better I do feel when I stick to a whole food, organic diet that consists mostly of eating ancestrally, I feel better.
If you do choose meat and some fish, please try to source grass-fed, hormone-free meats and go for wild caught fish that swims deep in the ocean such as snapper and cod.
I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again and again, look after yourself because your health is your truest wealth in your life.
Spread the love and share this article with everyone and together we can have a healthier society.