Turmeric Tofu Scramble (vegan)
Ok ok, so you’ve probably seen a bunch of other tofu scrambles I get it, but none are like this one I’m sure! Since going more plant-based (not completely vegan though), I had to get more creative with my meals, especially breakfast. You see, I used to be a raving fan of the humble egg and now just the very thought of an egg makes me reach for a bucket!
When you find out something you think is healthy (that you’ve been eating your whole life), is actually the opposite of healthy, you feel mixed emotions. You first feel angry that you’ve been lied your entire life and then you find the situation quite amusing. Then you feel frustrated that you have to think outside the box and change your diet (because let’s face it, don’t we have enough to bloody think about these days??) I think so (pun intended).
So we see things in cafes and on the internet that inspire us and my job is to take those little inspo’s and turn them into magical fairy dust, I mean into delectable delights that are kind to a sensitive tummy and tick all the plant-based boxes too. This is no easy task I must say but hey, I have fun sharing the results.
I love to create things for myself and my loved ones (mostly just my hubba bubba husband Jas) but then the cool part is, I get to share them with you also, my fellow human being!
So enough of the chittter chatter, let’s get into this scrummy scramble recipe, an EPIC alternative to those things that come out of a chook’s bum! (no offence if you still eat eggs, but I hope you find your way to the light soon because eggs are high in saturated fat and cholesterol and feed pathogens in your body not to mention, the whole concept of eating a living creature’s fertilised ovum is just plain GROSS!). If you want to learn more visit Medical Medium website.
- Block of Organic non-GMO tofu
- 1/2 red capsicum
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 head broccoli
- Spring onions or chives
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon
- Mung beans
- Greens (kale/spinach/silver beet)
- Organic corn kernels
- 1-2 garlic cloves crushed
- Vegan feta/vegan parmesan (optional)
- Pumpkin 1/4 cubed
- 1/2 tsp turmeric, cumin & paprika
- Himalayan salt
- Coconut/sunflower oil to fry in
- GF bread for toast
- Fresh coriander (optional but amazing!)
- The night before you might want to prep your veggies so you can just toss it all together the next day (especially the pumpkin)
- Dice up the pumpkin and toss in olive oil and some of your spices and then cook in your oven at 180 degrees celsius for about 25-30 mins on a tray lined with baking paper
- The following day if you’ve not prepped your veggies, do this first by washing and chopping up and putting in a bowl to the side
- Chop up finely your tofu and put this aside also. Get all the other ingredients ready
- In a fry pan, cook the harder veggies such as the capsicum, broccoli stems and once softened add the other veggies, the tofu, garlic, spices and salt
- Toss all of this well and serve with the avo halved, lemon wedges and a good sprinkle of mung beans and fresh coriander
- If using the vegan dairy option, now is the time to add this on top (my scramble in this pic doesn’t have it but I’ve made other since that did and OMG, so worth it!!)