Roasted Red Pepper, Fennel & Pumpkin Soup (Gut-healing + Immune-boosting)
Last night we had our friend Lee over for dinner and I served up big bowls of this delicious soup concoction and let's just say the flavour was so incredible that everyone was licking the bowl clean!
There's something kind of magical when you roast vegetables and then turn them into a soup...
They caramelise and the flavours intensify tenfold!
I have never used this combination before and I was unsure if adding in the fennel (last minute) would work but flamin' heck they sure did!
Get ready for a taste sensation but not only that, the soup recipe is loaded with vitamin C for helping boost immune health and ward off nasty germs.
Red peppers (capsicums), fennel, sweet potato and pumpkin are all good sources of vitamin C.
You can feel good knowing this delicious soup is literally a bowl of goodness containing nutrients such as vitamin A, E and B vitamins B1/B2/B3 and B6, biotin, manganese, folate, iron, niacin, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, copper, thiamin, selenium, beta-carotene.
I added Perfect Hydrolyzed collagen for an extra boost of protein + amino acids and it's gut-healing abilities.
Hope you enjoy! :)
Roasted Red Pepper, Fennel & Pumpkin Soup
- 3 red peppers* (capsicums)
- 1/2 Jap pumpkin*
- 2 large sweet potatoes*
- 1 large fennel bulbs
- 1 brown onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 litre of chicken-style stock (I use Australia's Own brand)
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 4 scoops Perfect Hydrolyzed collagen powder
- Sunflower, MCT oil or butter for frying
- Chop up your sweet potato into large, round pieces and slice the pumpkin into large slices then in a couple of baking tins add some baking paper then lay out your root veggies
- Add the fennel and peppers whole (make sure to wash them) then pop into the oven for about 45 mins- 1 hour on 180c (until soft and slightly caramelised). While this is cooking you can get on with something else.
- Once the veggies have done their thing take them out and set aside...
- Dice your onion and crush the garlic then saute in your chosen fat until soft
- When the roasted veggies have cooled off enough to touch be sure to remove the skins from the sweet potato and pumpkin. Remove the stalk and seeds from peppers but keep the skins on as they add flavour!
- Cut off the bottom and the top bit of the fennel and add in the soft bits to the soup pot along with the other veg, chicken stock, salt and then simmer this on low for about 20 minutes with the lid on so it doesn't reduce too much
- When everything is looking good, get a hand blender (an absolute essential for making healthy soups!) and blend it all up until smooth
- Add in the collagen powder scoop by scoop, being sure to continue to blend
- Serve right away in big bowls
Note: this soup serves 4 and can also be re-heated the next day.
PS - I know gluten is naughty for many of us (including myself) but if you can get your hands on a good quality sourdough bread, serving this with lashings of organic butter is literally heaven on earth!
This recipe and many others will be in my gut-loving soup eBook coming out soon so be sure to hit me up at email@example.com and I will add you to the gut-healing list. This email list is where we will be first launching the eBook.