Perfect Gelatin Recipes for Christmas
What a wonderful time of the year! So much joy and togetherness and food! 😊
While I want to acknowledge this, I also want to acknowledge those for whom Christmas is not joyful, they may be lonely, hungry or sad and they may not feel peaceful. Please keep these folks in your thoughts and send them love and food or help where you can.
At Christmas time we are reminded to give to others and not always from a sense of material possessions/things but givingness of our love, our acceptance, our time, our compassion and understanding. 💜
We can give love to every single person regardless of the circumstances because loving and love is our true nature, it's who we really are.
So no mater what you have gone through in your life, I just want you to know that I love you. I may not even know you but that doesn't matter. I love you because I know the truth of who you are.
Ok, so let's get to the recipes (made with love of course!) ❤️
Cooking and sharing food with others brings me incredible joy and happiness. I feel like you can really love people a lot through food as long as the intention is pure (to give and not expect anything in return)
I hope you enjoy these recipes over the Christmas break and please remember to share them on your Instagram and tag us @perfect_supplements_ so we can thank you.
The following recipes are gut-loving (good for gut health), gluten-free and option to be Low-FODMAP if you're following a LO-FO diet.
Gut-loving Strawberry Shortcake
- 2 1/2 cups of almond flour
- 1/3 cup of Lakanto or maple syrup*
- 1/4 tsp of sea or Himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup of butter or coconut oil (butter tastes the best IMO)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence/extract or paste
- 900g of frozen strawberries
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp of water
- 1 scoop of Perfect Bovine gelatin powder
- 1 cup of Lakanto or maple syrup
- 450g of fresh strawberries
- A pinch of sea/Himalayan salt
- Whipping cream 500ml or
- 450g tin of high-quality coconut cream (if Low-FODMAP)
- 1/4 cup of caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence or extract
Notes: Lakanto is a Monkfruit sweetener found in most supermarkets, it is not FODMAP-friendly so if you're LO-Fo, be sure to use maple syrup when called for and caster sugar at other times.
To make coconut cream just be sure to use a high-quality coconut cream and refrigerate overnight before using. There are plenty of good whipped coconut cream recipes online (I like the Minimalist Baker).
Method for Crust:
- Preheat your oven to 180c
- Line the bottom of your tart/pie dish with baking paper or simply grease it well
- In a large bowl, add your almond flour, chosen sweetener and salt
- Melt your chosen fat and then add this to the flour, mix well until a dough forms (I used a food processor to get the job done)
- Place the dough onto the tart/pie shell and spread out evenly using your hands and finger tips. Poke hole in the base with a fork to prevent the pastry from bubbling up
- Cook the pastry in the oven for 10-12 minutes until a nice golden colour but not brown, set aside to cool
Method for Filling:
- Take your frozen berries and pop them into a large saucepan over a low-medium heat, slowly simmer for a couple of minutes. Increase the heat and cook for about 18-20 minutes until it resembles strawberry jam
- In a small bowl, combine the water, lemon juice and Perfect Gelatin, allowing the gelatin to "bloom" for about 5 minutes. Blooming simply means that the gelatin crystals absorb the liquid and gel up
- Stir your bloomed gelatin into the cooked strawberries and add in your chosen sweetener (lakanto or maple) and salt. Stir well until all gelatin is dissolved and combined
- Transfer to a clean bowl and allow this to cool for about 30 minutes
- Fold your fresh berries (whole works best) into your cooked/cooled gelatin strawberry mixture and spread over your tart shell evenly
- Pop this into the fridge for about 5 hours or make the day before
- Serve with your chosen whipped cream (remember, dairy cream is not Low-FODMAP unless it is lactose-free) and a sprig of mint
Matchinga™ & Coconut Gummy Squares
(Matcha & Moringa Blend)
- 1 tin of coconut cream
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence/extract or paste
- Fresh strawberries and raspberries
- 3 tbsp of Perfect Bovine gelatin powder
- 4 scoops of Perfect Matchinga powder
Important: You will need silicone gelatin molds that can be purchased on Amazon.com.au or eBay.com.au
- In a bowl, add 1/2 tin of coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla and Perfect Matchinga™ and whisk vigorously until well-combined
- Add in the gelatin and ensure all gelatin crystrals are covered in liquid
- Allow the gelatin to "bloom" (this just means that the gelatin absorbs the liquid and gels up), this will take about 5 minutes
- In a saucepan, add the remainder of the coconut milk and heat until hot but not boiling!
- Add in the gelatin mixture and whisk until all gelatin is fully dissolved (I used a blender here and it worked well)
- Use a baking tray to place your molds on, this will ensure the gelatin mix doesn't run and go everywhere when you transport to the fridge soon...
- Pour the mixture into a pouring jug and then into each of your molds squares, being careful not to fill right to the brim (allowing for the fruit). I would say a few centimetres maybe?
- Place your raspberries into each square (you only need 1) and then repeat the process with the strawberries
- Place into fridge for 1-2 hours and when set, remove from the silicone and store in an airtight container or eat right away
Eggnog Gummy Squares
These can be suitable for children or teenagers under 18 if you omit the whiskey
- 2 cups of almond & coconut milk (I use Nutty Bruce)
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence/extract or paste
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 3 tbsp of Perfect Bovine Gelatin
- 1-2 tbsp of Whiskey (optional)
- In a small bowl, crack your egg yolks and save the whites for meringue
- Add in your maple syrup and whisk until ivory in colour, this may take about 3 minutes on high-speed with your hand blender
- In a separate bowl add 1 cup of the milk and then sprinkle 3 tbsp of Perfect gelatin into it and stir until combined
- Let the gelatin bloom (same as the previous recipe) for 5 minutes
- In a saucepan, add the other cup of milk, the spices and vanilla and heat until hot but not boiling
- Tip the bloomed gelatin into the hot spicy vanilla milk and whisk until all gelatin is dissolved
- Lastly, add in the egg mix slowly and whisk vigorously. You may wish to add in the whiskey at this point in time but please leave it out if you intend to serve these where children can access them
- Pour the final gelatin mixture into silicone gummy square molds and pop into the fridge for about 2 hours or until set (it just depends on the coolness of your fridge)
- Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container